Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Story

I thought that last blog sounded a bit stuffy, so I wanted to summarize it and add a few more details.

So I'm sixteen years old, a lifeguard, a volleyball player, and a cook.

And now I'm on my way to France.

I've wanted to be a foreign exchange student since 6th grade, I remember getting packets, from my sister, about AFS. I was mesmerized by all the possible nations I go go to. I could go anywhere in the world; speak any language; be with any people; eat any food; and all I had to do was fill out a form.

Well, turns out I had to do a little more work than that to go abroad. Like I had to study really hard to get good grades, I've had to put off homework to complete AFS things, I've probably spent more than ten hours straight completing my application, I'm taking AP classes so that I can graduate with my grade, and I've been working my butt off to learn French.

And that doesn't even account for what I'm going to miss while I'm gone. My first day of 11th grade, freezing cold football games, a season of volleyball and softball, Thanksgiving, Christmas, my golden birthday, Mother's day, prom, my last day of 11th grade, and just being with my family and friends for a whole year.

But the thing is comparing those loses to going to France is like comparing a penny to a million dollars, well at least for me. I believe that the things I experience, good or bad, while aboard will shape me and give me a better understanding of our world.

That's all I really want. I want to learn about the French culture, their morals and values, how they prioritize their lives. With that understanding I want to share with family, friends, and anyone else that will listen what is truly important in life. The things that will make your day a red letter day are the things we should be doing as much as possible.

I also wanted to hit on the whole fundraising thing. I really haven't been fundraising, but I have been working, a lot. Any job apportunity I have been presented I have taken. I want to work and I love to get paid for a good days work, but the thing is, it's not enough. So if you are willing to there is or there will be a ChipIn link that you can donate to. Any amount of money is helpful and all of it is appriciated.

Thank you, please leave comments and questions, I'd love to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I will chip in, tee, hee! I'm concerned that you put your last name out on the internet. I love you and am proud of you. LOVE, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. There can be too much personal info on the net. At least take off your last name and school - just say 'central Minnesota'. Cool idea and way to raise money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, you're taking AP classes sophomore year to make up for credits? That's pretty intense (In a good way, of course:) ). Hope you get accepted!!

    ReplyDelete